“England [sic] is just a small island. Its roads and houses are small.” – Mitt Romney
When it comes to housing, which country is best, the UK or the USA?
Here is a completely scientific and in no way impressionistic answer.
1. The number of people who own their own home is on the decline in both the USA and the UK
2. Far more Americans than Brits sleep rough
Verdict: UK wins
3. Partly because there is so much more public housing in the UK than the USA
Verdict: UK wins (showing my bias)
4. Compared to average wages, houses in the UK aren’t anymore expensive than in the USA (on average)
5. But American homes are a lot larger than homes in the UK (Romney was right about something)
Verdict: USA wins
Final score: UK wins 2:1.